Not everybody can be an amazing artist or a famous writer commanding generous advances, but everybody is capable of being creative and writing great content for any website. The problem is that most people don’t realise what they are capable of creating.
In fact, most people are blocking themselves from being good writers by telling themselves that they are doing it all wrong. Is there really such a thing as ‘wrong‘, and if there is, does it matter? The most successful people in the world admit to making mistakes in business and there is great value to be had in learning from your mistakes. Whether it is as simple as a typo or mixing your facts up, you probably won’t make the same mistake again.
Here are a few tips to help you on your way to realising your creativity and write better web copy:
- Start small, don’t aim to write thousands of words of content as visitors probably won’t read it all anyway. Web visitors scan copy so don’t feel pressured to hit a word count.
- It is much easier to edit something than it is to write something so try creating and then editing. If you edit as you write then you interrupt the flow of your writing which is when you get stuck and then think that you’re rubbish at writing when you aren’t.
- Focus – you’ll get much more done if you’re concentrating on one thing. Turn off any distractions and see how far you get in 30 minutes.
- You can certainly write decent content in half an hour, but first you need to stop procrastinating! You do have time to write content for your website, check out our blog on writing blogs in less than 30 minutes.
- You might get loads of ideas for great web content but talk yourself out of it before you even get started. Try writing down your ideas and develop them before you dismiss them like you normally do.
- And finally… celebrate your achievements. A PR agency will put together cuttings of all the coverage they get for you. Keeping a scrapbook of all your achievements will remind you that you do have talents and that you can be good at writing web copy if you put your mind to it.
Too many people convince themselves that they aren’t at all creative and so can’t write blogs. If you stop believing that you’re not creative and follow the tips here, you’ll be well on your way to writing more interesting and engaging content for websites.