When copywriting for SEO, one of the things that the professional copywriter needs to take into consideration is how content should be structured.
When you go to a website and you see pages of text with few paragraphs, do you roll up your sleeves and get stuck in or do you press the back button? Statistics repeatedly show that internet visitors are incredibly fickle and don’t want to have to trawl through pages of content just to get the nugget of information that they were looking for in the first place.
So how can you be sure that your copywriter is encouraging visitors to your website to stay and read what you have to say?
Here are a few tips for copywriters:
- Use headings. Headings attract attention and skim readers can find what they’re looking for in a matter of seconds.
- Make good use of bullet points. Sharp copy condensed into short sentences keeps information in small chunks that are easy to remember.
- If your copywriter is writing a step by step guide or a list, then use numbers. Numbering is a tried and tested technique that helps people memorise more points in a short space of time.
- You don’t want people to leave your website, so think about what has been written in the past and link within blog posts. For example, if I’m writing about fitness and mention yoga, I can link to an older post about yoga.
- A lot of people use the internet in their spare time so keep sentences and paragraphs fairly short as large blocks of written content look tedious.
The most important thing for a copywriter to remember is to always be focused on the reader. When writing for online content, it is very hard to know who your reader is even with access to Google Analytics. You have to remember that the reader is reading because they have come to your website thinking that there is something in it for them, whether it is a great deal on their next purchase with you or information.
By structuring your copy in to bite-sized chunks you can increase your average time on site. If you increase your average time on site then the reader has made a greater connection with you and they are more likely to buy from you.
To find out how Juno Copywriting can help your business, contact David Wiltshire on 0845 544 1764